Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2016

She is in love with the world


Marina needs the audience like air to breath, that’s the gasoline she’s running on. She lives for her art, she lives for the audience.

When I met her I thought ‘Oh God, she’s in love with me’, and it took me a while to understand that she is in love with the world.

And now I realise that she is repeating this misunderstanding with every single person in the atrium.




- Klaus Biesenbach, curator and director at MoMA, New York, commenting on Marina Abramovic and her performance The Artist is Present in 2010. Words and stills taken from the documentary film  Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present (2012).


~


I wrote an essay on Performance Art in April/May and whilst writing and researching, I stopped to write down this quote and capture the screenshots from the film because I thought they were really beautiful. The words really resonate with me but I'm not entirely sure why yet.

Ro is listening to: Half Light by BANNERS

No comments:

Post a Comment